Sunday, December 18, 2011

It's just that easy... DIY T-Shirt Bracelet

This Christmas I find myself caught up in the whole "Do-It-Yourself" thing.  Crafting has been a lot of fun and has been gentle on our Holiday budget.  I had thought about blogging a DIY gift idea the 12 days leading up to Christmas until I realized most of the people I am making these gifts for follow my blog.  So instead, as I give these gifts away, they will also slowly make their way onto my blog.  Here we go....

T-Shirt bracelets are my frugal DIY gift I made for the young ladies in my small group at The Edge this year.  They were fast, simple, cheap, and trendy which is exactly what I was looking for since I needed 12 of them.  All you need is an old T-Shirt and some hot glue.  I also added in a strand of craft pearls which I had laying around from our wedding decorations.  If you don't have a T-Shirt you want to cut up you can find them at any craft store in just about any color.  I actually found mine at Menards for $1.50 each.  A Men's XL can easily make 20 bracelets depending on the thickness you desire.  According to my figures, I spent less than 10 cents a bracelet.  If that's not frugal I don't know what is!

Step 1.  Cut 3 strips of fabric about 12 inches long.  Stack on top of one another.  I used dabs of glue to hold them in place.  If you are using a pearl strand place it on top of the fabric strips.  Shut end in drawer and braid the 3 strands keeping the pearls with one. 

Step 2:  Hot glue the last few overlaps of material when you have finished braiding.  At this point you should have a strand of braid with the ends glued together so it doesn't unwrap. 
Step 3:  Hot Glue the two ends together to make a bracelet.  You may want to cut a strip of T-shirt to cover up the overlap area.  Glue it in place. 
There you have it. 5 minute T-Shirt bracelets! 

No comments:

Post a Comment