Monday, August 29, 2011

Homemade Salsa

Salsa has become a staple in our household.  Running out of salsa is like running out of ketchup around here, it just doesn't happen.  My Mom has always made and canned a really good salsa recipe which has been mostly a blessing, and a little bit of a curse.  The curse being we have become salsa snobs.  Any kind of salsa not specialty or restaurant quality doesn't taste good to us.  As you can imagine, I do not get too excitied about dropping extra money on a decent jar of salsa which we usually devour within the week.  For that reason, and also for the sake that homemade salsa tastes so much better, I now follow in my Mother's footsteps. 

Ingredients is the key in almost every recipe..... especially the frugal ones!  The best choice which also involves the most amount of commitment, is to grow your own vegtables.  For those of us who aren't crazy about the whole gardening thing at this point in life a great option is your local famers market.  I was able to get a majority of the vegtables I needed from my parent's garden minus a few odds and ends which I picked up at the farmers market.
Eau Claire Farmer's Market - Mid August

Fresh locally grown produce

Tomatoes and Jalapenos from my parent's garden. 


Let's cut to the chase and get to the price break down for this frugal find idea.  Specialty Salsa from the store is roughly $5 and up per jar.  Salsa made with farmer's market ingredients bought in season will run you about $2.00 a jar.  Salsa made fresh from your own garden is $1.00 or less a jar.  So, in my case we save about $140 a year by canning our own salsa.  What a delicious frugal find!


L

No comments:

Post a Comment